Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Leadership in Pastoral Ministry and/or Religious Education




Ministry opening: West Richmond Friends Meeting (Richmond, Indiana) requests proposals from individuals who wish to explore a calling to full-time or part-time leadership in Pastoral Ministry and/or Religious Education. We will accept proposals immediately until the opening is filled. We hope to fill the opening by July 1, 2017.

About the position: We seek an individual or individuals for leadership in two areas: pastoral ministry and religious education. This is to carry on the work currently performed by staff who will finish their service by July 1, 2017. The individual(s) we seek will work with the congregation and with other part-time staff consisting of a Meeting Secretary, Choir Director and Accompanist.

We are open to the possibility that the skills, abilities, experience, time and energy needed for the pastoral ministry leadership position could be provided by an individual ministry leader or by a ministry team of some configuration. We believe that pastoral ministry is the responsibility of the meeting as a whole, and that this work is helped if one or more of us have the released time and explicit responsibility to be a focus of this activity, and to support and empower others as well in this work. The meeting is prepared to provide financial support for up to a full-time position for pastoral ministry leadership, and 1/4 time for religious education leadership.

We seek pastoral ministry leadership which:
-   Provides spiritual leadership for the Meeting, supporting our diverse understandings and expressions of faith, and helping us grow and deepen as a spiritual community
-   Empowers the use of spiritual and practical gifts in the meeting
-   Works with the Pastoral Care Committee to offer pastoral care 
-   Works with the Worship Committee and music staff in planning and carrying out worship and brings a message to worship 1-3 times a month
-   Carries out administrative responsibilities in collaboration with appropriate committees, officers and other staff
-   Serves as the 'public face' of the meeting, representing it on civic occasions, with representatives of other faith communities and among Friends as occasion arises
-   Works within the meeting on conflict management and resolution
-   Is Quaker, or has significant knowledge of and experience with Quaker faith and practice

We seek religious education leadership which:
- Develops the religious education program at West Richmond Friends
- Recruits, trains and supports/supervises Sunday School instructors for children, child care providers for worship time, and Quaker Kids teacher for Monthly Meeting Sundays.
- Teaches Sunday School course(s) for children when interested or needed
- Works with the Education Committee to develop intergenerational programming
- Invests in relationships with parents, children and teachers
- Inspires and develops an education volunteer pool, and hires others for programming as needed and appropriate
- Plans and implements special Sunday programs, and collaborates with the area Quaker youth groups

Proposals will be received by email at opening@westrichmondfriends.org



About West Richmond Friends Meeting:

As a Christian Quaker community, we seek to discover God's truth, proclaim God's love, and live our faith.

We are a semi-programmed Friends meeting that values prepared messages, periods of open worship, and music as integral to our meetings for worship. We treasure both our Quaker Christian identity and our hospitality to the diversity of theological perspectives among us. We affirm and welcome all persons whatever their race, religious affiliation, age, socio-economic status, nationality, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation or mental/physical disability. We offer all individuals and families, with or without children, our spiritual and practical support.

We value deep spiritual worship, a strong identity which is communicated effectively, being a community of authentic relationships, affirmation and development of the gifts of members and attenders, attracting and meeting the needs of people of all ages, collaboration with various Quaker and interfaith groups, and visible social action.

We are members of the New Association of Friends and Friends United Meeting, and are involved with a number of other Friends organizations and institutions.


More information can be found at www.westrichmondfriends.org

Monday, September 12, 2016

New Association of Friends gathering at Friends of the Light, Traverse City, Michigan



The garden at Friends of the Light


Some of us arrived on our 400 mile journey from different parts of Indiana a day early, in time to do sightseeing, so I led a small group to Empire (National Park Office and Sleeping Bear Dunes the easy way, by car up Pierce Stocking Drive. We ended the journey in Glen Arbor (Cherry Republic.)

On the Saturday morning I repeated the expedition, starting this time in Leland and Fishtown, and then south to Glen Haven. Members of Friends of the Light took others to a wonderful restored Victorian mansion and garden on 6th Street, via a coffee shop.


Glen Lake, from Pierce Stocking Drive, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore


Clinch Marina, Traverse City






















On Saturday afternoon we - Friends from Bluff Point, New Castle, Friends of the Light, Muncie, Raysville, Richmond First Friends and West Richmond, gathered at Friends of the Light for a Bible study by Janet Scott on Mark's Gospel. 

Those who were not part of the Steering Committee meeting that followed went for a walk or joined me on a tour of the early history of Friends in the area: Round Top Cemetery in Maple City, the former Pleasant Grove/Maple City meetinghouse (now St. Rita's Catholic church), Long Lake Church (sadly they have dropped 'Friends' from their name) and the site of Lone Tree schoolhouse (the first Friends meeting in Traverse City) and the site of the home of evangelists Phebe and Amos Kenworthy.

Friends of the Light served a pizza and salad dinner and we went into the second session of bible study with Janet Scott.  

On Sunday we attended worship at Friends of the Light, where there were hymns accompanied on the psalter, concertina and a wooden base instrument from the Afro-Cuban tradition. Many of us went out to Minerva's for brunch at the historic Park Place Hotel, and then said goodbye, with hopes to repeat the experience within the next eighteen months.


The original Long Lake meetinghouse on Cedar Run Road


Quakers moved from Indiana into northern Michigan after the Homestead Act. From dates on gravestones there is evidence of Friends being in the Maple City area from 1868. The first recorded meeting for worship was a decade later.

Long Lake Monthly Meeting was set up under the care of Winchester (Indiana) Quarterly Meeting in 1880. Evangelists set out from this farming settlement to  railroad and logging communities, and meetings were established at Lone Tree (later Traverse City, 1894) and Pleasant Grove (Maple City, 1895.)  Five other meetings did not survive, partly because logging communities were transient.  Maple City Friends Church lasted until 1918, and Traverse City Friends Church until 1987.



Friends of the Light's history is of two worship groups that came together:

In 1986 Joe Kelly heard a call to be a minister. He and others from Long Lake Friends Church began meeting on Sunday afternoons in St. Rita's Catholic Church, the former Maple City Friends meetinghouse. They took the name Pleasant Grove Worship Group, which was the historic name of Maple City Friends Meeting. The worship group was under the care of Long Lake Friends.

Joe also started a worship group at Munson Medical Center in Traverse City for people in recovery and/or with mental health challenges. After learning about the history of early Friends, the group named itself Friends of the Light.

In 1990, at the invitation of Indiana Yearly Meeting, Friends of the Light relocated into the empty Traverse City Friends meetinghouse and began caring for it. Recovery groups started using the property and other community groups and churches followed.

In 1994 the Pleasant Grove Worship Group relocated from Maple City to the Traverse City Friends meetinghouse. Later that year, Friends of the Light and Pleasant Grove Worship Group merged as one monthly meeting under the name Friends of the Light. 

Friends of the Light is now part of The New Association of Friends.



The presiding clerk climbs the dune





Monday, August 13, 2012

Michigan roots and routes

Raisin Valley (formerly Adrian) Friends Church. The oldest active Friends congregation 
in Michigan

Nineteenth century history

Whether they got there on by boat on the Erie Canal and Lake Erie or by train, by carriage or on foot, Friends who moved to Michigan in the nineteenth century were pioneer farmers, artisans, teachers and small business owners. Those whose work was connected to logging communities had to move frequently, so it was not unusual for some worship groups and meetings to be established and laid down a few years later. The landscape of the Lower Peninsula contains the ghosts of small meetings and worship groups. The meetings in farming and manufacturing areas to the southeast of the state had a more stable population.

To the outside world, the early Quaker settlers would have looked the same. All the early meetings were unprogrammed until the late-19th century evangelical revivals. The early Friends would have worn plain dress and used plain speech. Differences in theology and attitudes towards the world, and Friends' place in it, would, however, have been apparent by the vocal ministry and in some of the conflicts that arose. 

There were two main migration routes: The earliest was from Ohio or via upstate New York and the Erie Canal; the later route was through Indiana. Because of their different roots, the congregations had distinct cultural and theological histories. 

Most of the congregations began as worship groups or preparative meetings under the care of a monthly meeting. Those "home" monthly meetings belonged to one of the following yearly meetings.


NEW YORK YEARLY MEETING was the Orthodox yearly meeting that had continued after the Orthodox/Hicksite separation of the late 1820s. The earliest Friends congregations in Michigan were part of New York Yearly Meeting:

-Raisin Valley (formerly Adrian), Lenawee County (1831- ),

-Raisin Center (formerly Raisin), Lenawee County (1842- ),

-RollinLenawee County (1851- ), and

-Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County (1855- .)  

Together, they formed New York Yearly Meeting's Adrian Quarterly Meeting. There were early tensions over engagement in the Underground Railroad, and some activist members left to join other churches, but there was no schism.


GENESEE YEARLY MEETING Set up in 1834, it had its roots in New York Yearly Meeting's Hicksite branch. Three monthly meetings were established in Michigan:

-Livonia (formerly Plymouth, originally Nankin), Wayne County (1834-joined Michigan Yearly Meeting of Progressive Friends 1848; laid down 1849.)

-Battle Creek (formerly Milton), Calhoun County (1838-1899), and

-Adrian, Lenawee County (1840-49.)




In Michigan the yearly meeting was weakened by the Congregational/ Progressive schism four years later. One meeting split; its Genesee supporters joining another meeting, and that meeting survived until 1899, but none of the 19th century Hicksite meetings survived the 19th century. Hicksite Quakerism underwent a revival in Michigan in the 20th century, but not in the original Genesee meetings.


MICHIGAN YEARLY MEETING OF CONGREGATIONAL FRIENDS Linked to the movements in other states of Progressive and Reform Friends, and the Friends of Human Progress, two meetings in Genesee Yearly Meeting separated:

-Adrian, Lenawee County. The Progressives separated from the Hicksite Adrian Meeting in 1840. Its dates as a monthly meeting are 1848/9-1860.

-Livonia (formerly Plymouth, originally Nankin), Wayne County. This Hicksite meeting became a Progressive meeting in 1848. It was laid down in 1849.)

-Hickory Grove (formerly Parma Preparative Meeting), Jackson County. Became a Progressive meeting in 1848, and was also laid down in 1849.

Members of Progressive meetings supported anti-slavery activism, women's rights  and greater equality in meetings.  The movement faded because, with Emancipation, some of their work was accomplished. By the late 19th century many of their views on equality had become mainstream Hicksite thinking.


INDIANA YEARLY MEETING: Its first monthly meeting in Michigan was established in 1841, to be followed by twelve others and several preparative meetings and worship groups. It experienced a schism over anti-slavery activism, but only one meeting in Michigan separated. Although Indiana Yearly Meeting had also separated into Hicksite and Orthodox branches, the Hicksite yearly meeting had no congregations in Michigan. Of Indiana's original thirteen meetings, nine were laid down and one was transferred as a worship group to Ohio Yearly Meeting and subsequently laid down. They were:

-Birch Lake, Cass County (1841-1921, when it merged with Penn Monthly Meeting.)

-Vandalia, Cass County (1880-1915when it merged with Penn Monthly Meeting.)

-Long Lake, Grand Traverse County (1880-.)

-Maple City, Leelanau County (1886-1917.)

-Manton, Wexford County (1890-1929.)

-Traverse City, Grand Traverse County (1894-1975; 1978-1987.)

-Onaway, Presque Isle County (1895-1910.)

-Penn, Cass County (1896-2012, when it became an independent Evangelical church.)



-Chapel Hill, Cass County (1899-1924.)

-Tawas City, Iosco County (1905-transferred to Ohio Yearly Meeting and laid down in 1906.)

-Arthur Center, Clare County (1915-1920.)

-Detroit, Wayne County (1922-1984.)

-Friends of the Light, Grand Traverse County (1994-.)



INDIANA YEARLY MEETING OF ANTI-SLAVERY FRIENDS. While by the 19th century Friends were united on the evil of slavery, they were divided  on what actions they should take. A minority of Indiana Yearly Meeting Friends became committed to nonviolent direction action through hiding enslaved fugitives and engagement in the Underground Railroad movement. The majority believed that abstinence from slaveholding and non-engagement with "the world" was their calling. This led to a schism and the establishment of Indiana Yearly Meeting of Anti-Slavery Friends.

In 1843, two years after Birch Lake, Indiana's first monthly meeting in Michigan was established, an Anti-Slavery group separated from it, and Young's Prairie, part of Indiana Yearly Meeting of Anti-Slavery Friends, continued until 1857

After Emancipation, the two yearly meetings recombined, with the understanding that there need be no apology on either side. 





❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ 


A new yearly meeting came into Michigan 16 years after the third of the 19th century schisms was affecting Friends in the U.S. Inspired by Joseph John Gurney's revivals, there were movements of energetic evangelism, which were opposed vigorously by John Wilbur and his supporters. This lead to Gurneyite/ Wilburite (Evangelical/ Conservative) separations. Ohio Yearly Meeting of Friends split in 1854, with the Evangelical branch being identified with Damascus, Ohio and the Conservative branch identified with Barnesville, Ohio. 

New York Yearly Meeting transferred all its meetings in Adrian Quarter to the Gurneyite, Evangelical OHIO YEARLY MEETING OF FRIENDS in 1869. Ohio Yearly Meeting went on to establish nine more monthly meetings in Michigan:

-Hanover, Jackson County (1882-1924), 

-Lupton (formerly Lane), Ogemaw County (1893- ),

-Tecumseh (now Riverbend), Lenawee County (1893- ), 

-Adrian, Lenawee County (1904-1973), 

-Burt, Saginaw County (1907-1913), 

-Albee, Saginaw County (1908-1926), 
  
-Selkirk (formerly Rifle River), Ogemaw County (1912-1964),

-Battle Creek, Calhoun County (1946-), and

-Lansing, Ingham County (1964-1970.) 

This branch of Ohio Yearly Meeting changed its name to EVANGELICAL FRIENDS CHURCH EASTERN REGION, leaving the name 'Ohio Yearly Meeting' to be used by the Wilburite, Conservative branch, based in Barnesville Ohio. 

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ 

Twentieth/twenty-first century developments

Nine new monthly meetings have been established in Michigan since 1937, mainly in college towns. They are affiliated to Friends General Conference, so have Hicksite roots, though not all members would be comfortable with that term. Seven monthly meetings and their associated worship groups on the Lower Peninsula belong to LAKE ERIE YEARLY MEETING. They are:

-Detroit, Wayne County, (1937-)

-Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, (1938-),

-Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, (1955-)

-Birmingham, Oakland County, (1968-) 

-Pine River, Isabella County, (1970-)

-Grand Rapids, Kent County, (1971-), and 

-Red Cedar, Ingham County, 1973-.)

There are also two meetings on Michigan's Upper Peninsula affiliated with Friends General Conference belonging to NORTHERN YEARLY MEETING:

-Lake Superior, Marquette County, (1979-), and 

-Keweenaw, Houghton County, (1991.)


The original four monthly meetings established by NEW YORK YEARLY MEETING and transferred to what is now EVANGELICAL FRIENDS CHURCH EASTERN REGION remain:

-Raisin Valley

-Raisin Center

-Rollin, and 

-Ypsilanti.

Of the nine other Evangelical churches, three survive: 

-Lupton,

-River Bend (formerly Tecumseh), and

-Battle Creek.


Of the original 13 meetings founded by INDIANA YEARLY MEETINGnine were laid down and one was transferred as a worship group to Ohio Yearly Meeting and subsequently laid down. 

It appears that only Long Lake will survive as part of the yearly meeting. Historic Penn Friends Church (which, as Penn Monthly Meeting, had absorbed Birch Lake and Vandalia, Indiana's earliest meetings in Michigan) withdrew from Indiana Yearly Meeting in 2012, and is currently an independent Evangelical church. Indiana's youngest Michigan congregation, Friends of the Light, plans to leave the yearly meeting when the yearly meeting's reconfiguration is complete in 2013.  

The newest small monthly meeting in Michigan, Crossroads, a Conservative meeting in Genesee County, was established in 2009 under Stillwater Quarterly Meeting, OHIO YEARLY MEETING.




❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

180 years of Quakers in Michigan

45 monthly meetings have existed in Michigan. (The figure is approximate because of separations and mergers.) Some bloomed briefly, either because of schism or implosion, or because communities moved to follow the work, especially that associated with the lumber industry. Others are still active more than 150 years later.

Over the years, Evangelical Friends Church Eastern Region and its predecessor Ohio Yearly Meeting laid down six of its 13 monthly meetings. 

11 of Indiana's 13 meetings have been laid down, transferred or withdrawn, with another due to leave in 2013.

None of the traditional Hicksite meetings or the activist splinter meetings survived.

All nine Friends General Conference meetings established in the 20th century have survived, and a new Conservative meeting has been established.

❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

There are currently 20 monthly meetings in Michigan.

Nine of them are unprogrammed meetings affiliated to Friends General Conference, and somewhat Universalist in outlook.

Eight (including one independent) are Evangelical, with a particular understanding of what it means to be Christian. 

These two groups tend to pull away from each other. One group may look outwards towards building alliances with other Faiths. The other may look to other Christian evangelical denominations for alliances. Their focus is unlikely to be on each other, and towards Friends who are somewhat different from them.

The Conservative meeting is likely to look to other Conservative meetings in Ohio and elsewhere for its connections. 

The traditional Orthodox, Friends United Meeting "middle ground" has largely collapsed. What is left of it is fragile, with just two congregations that belong to Indiana Yearly Meeting, which is in the process of schism. One is evangelical, the other seeks stronger connections with the wider world of Friends and progressive Christians.

While the nineteenth century saw fractiousness, arguments and some schism, most Friends would have recognized in each other more that was common than was different. This was not just because Friends were still “peculiar” - more set apart from the World. It was also because they did share commonality: the identity of being a particular part of the Christian Family that was Quaker. They were also linked through educational, employment, and family ties and tradition.

Given the polarization of the present Quaker landscape, what if anything,can hold us together, and how can we nurture that fragile middle ground?



Friends of the Light, Traverse City. Newer congregation; historic building

Thanks to Thomas C. Hill, Monthly Meetings in North America: A Quaker Index https://www.quakermeetings.com 
for the names and dates.